Monday, July 9, 2007

Writing for Fun: Literature Abuse - Part 1

Revised from Michael McGrorty
Go to Original

How many of these apply to you?

1. I have read fiction when I was depressed or to cheer myself up.
2. I have gone on reading binges of an entire book or more in a day.
3. I read rapidly, often “gulping”chapters.
4. I have sometimes read early in the morning or before work.
5. I have hidden books in different places to sneak a chapter without being seen.
6. Sometimes I avoid friends or family obligations in order to read novels.
7. Sometimes I re-write film or television dialog as the characters speak.
8. I am unable to enjoy myself with others unless there is a book nearby.
9. Reading has made me seek haunts and companions that I would otherwise avoid.
10. I have neglected personal hygiene or household chores until I have finished a novel.
11. I have spent money on books instead of necessities.
12. I have attempted to check out more library books than permitted.
13. Most of my friends are heavy fiction readers.
14. I have sometimes passed out from a night of heavy reading.
15. I have suffered “blackouts” or memory loss from a bout of reading.
16. I have wept, become angry or irrational because of something I read.
17. I have sometimes wished I did not read so much.
18. Sometimes I think my reading is out of control.

If you answered “yes” to three or more of these questions, you may be a literature abuser. Affirmative responses to five or more indicate a serious problem.

Now that you have admitted your weakness, next time we will look at predisposing factors.

No comments: